A Nominating Committee shall be appointed by the President and shall accept and consider all nominations for the positions of President, Vice President, Director of Communications/Secretary, Director of Finance/Treasurer, Director of Programming, and Director of Membership Services. The Nominating Committee shall be comprised of no less than three full members. The Committee shall solicit nominations from City Managers, former officers, full MMASC members in good standing and through placing announcements in MMASC publications and emails. The Nominating Committee will solicit nominations fourteen (14) days prior to the Summer Session. Additional nominations will be received during the presentation of candidates at the Summer Session. If the Summer Session is cancelled, the President shall designate another [special] event for the Nominating Committee to solicit and receive nominations.
The term is December 1 to November 30.
The election of officers shall be conducted by the Nominating Committee using an electronic ballot. The Nominating Committee shall distribute an electronic ballot on a date determined at the Summer Session, or other (special) event designated by the President. Ballots shall be distributed to all full members. The ballot period will last fourteen (14) calendar days. Each full member in good standing may only vote once and will have only one vote count in the election process.
In deciding the election, the following conditions shall apply:
1.In the case where there is only one candidate for each office, the Nominating Committee shall notify the candidates, President and full members that an election shall not take place and the election shall be called.
2. All electronic ballots shall be collected, but not counted, until the election period has ended. At the conclusion of the election period, the Nominating Committee shall meet within seven (7) days to count the ballots. The Nominating Committee shall notify the candidates and the President of the election results immediately upon completion of the vote tabulation.
3. In the case where there are only two (2) candidates for an office, the winner is that individual receiving the highest number of votes, provided that the highest plurality is at least 40% of the total votes cast.
4. In the case where there are more than two (2) candidates for an office, the winner is that individual receiving the highest number of votes, providing that the highest plurality is at least 40% of the total votes cast. If no candidates received at least 40% of the votes cast, a run-off election between the two (2) candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall be held by either electronic or mail ballot. The run-off ballot shall be made available within twenty-four (24) hours following the tabulation of the original ballots. The electronic or mail ballot period will last fourteen (14) calendar days. The winner shall be determined according to paragraph 3 above.
5. Any candidate wishing to challenge the results of the election must file a written protest to the President within five (5) business days after the vote tabulation; otherwise the results of the election become final. If the election is protested, the President shall call a special meeting of the Board of Directors to consider the protest. The election results related to the protested seat(s) may be nullified and a new election held upon a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Board of Directors. Procedures for the new election shall be set by the Nominating Committee and approved by a majority vote of the Board of Directors.
6. Any vacancy in office shall be filled by an appointment of the President with confirmation by a simple majority of the entire Board of Directors at their next meeting. If the Presidency becomes vacant, the Vice President would automatically assume the office and appoint a Vice President to be confirmed by a simple majority of the Board of Directors at the next meeting.
A full description of board positions and responsibilities can be found in Article 8 of the MMASC bylaws. For additional questions, please email email@example.com.